Daily Readings - October 05, 2011 - Wednesday

First Reading: Jonah 4: 1-11
Responsorial Psalm: 86: 3-4, 5-6, 9-10
Holy Gospel: Luke 11: 1-4


Holy Gospel:

1 One day Jesus was praying in a certain place and when he had finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.” 2 And Jesus said to them, “When you pray, say this:
Father, hallowed be your name,
may your kingdom come,
3 give us each day the kind of bread we need,
4 and forgive us our sins, for we also for­give all who do us wrong,
and do not bring us to the test.


First Reading:

1 But Jonah was greatly displeased at this, and he was in­dignant. 2 He prayed to Yahweh and said, “O Yah­weh, is this not what I said when I was yet in my own coun­try? This is why I fled to Tar­shish. I knew that you are a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger and full of love, and you relent from imposing terrible punishment. 3 I beseech you now, Yahweh, to take my life, for now it is better for me to die than to live.” 4 But Yahweh replied, “What right have you to be angry?”

5 Jonah  then  left  the  city.  He  went to a place east of it, built himself a shelter and sat under its shade to wait and see what would happen to Nine­veh. 6 Then Yahweh God provided a castor-oil plant and made it grow up over Jonah to give shade over his head and to ease his discomfort. Jonah was very happy about the plant.

7 But the next day, at dawn, God sent a worm which attacked the plant and made it wither. 8 When the sun rose, God sent a scorching east wind; the sun blazed down upon Jo­nah’s head, and he grew faint. His death wish returned and he said, “It is better for me to die than to live.”

9 Then God asked Jonah, “Do you have a right to be angry about the castor-oil plant?” Jonah answered, “I am right to be angry enough to wish to die.”
10 Yahweh said, “You are concerned about a plant which cost you no labor to make it grow. Overnight it sprang up, and overnight it perished. 11 But Nineveh has more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot distinguish right from left and they have many cattle as well. Should I not be concerned for such a great city?”


Responsorial Psalm:

Lord, You are merciful and gracious.

3 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I cry to you all day.

4 Bring joy to the soul of your servant, for you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

5 You are good and forgiving, O Lord, caring for those who call on you.

6 Listen, O Lord, to my prayer, hear the voice of my pleading.

9 All the nations you have made will come; they will worship before you, O Lord, and bring glory to your name.

10 For you are great, and wonderful are your deeds; you alone are God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer to Archbishop Teofilo Camomot

Mar y Cielo of Atty. Marcelo Bacalso

The Queenship of Mary