Daily Readings - September 12, 2011 - Monday

Most Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary
First Reading: 1 Timothy 2: 1 - 8
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 28: 2, 7, 8 - 9
Holy Gospel: Luke 7: 1 - 10


Holy Gospel:

1 When Jesus had finished teaching in this way to the people, he went to Capernaum.

2 There was a captain whose servant was very sick and near to death, a man very dear to him. 3 So when he heard about Jesus, he sent some elders of the Jews to persuade him to come and save his servant’s life. 4 The elders came to Jesus and begged him earnestly, saying, 5 “He deserves this of you, for he loves our people and even built a synagogue for us.”

6 Jesus went with them. He was not far from the house when the captain sent friends to give this message, “Sir, do not trouble yourself for I am not worthy to welcome you under my roof. 7 You see I didn’t approach you myself. Just give the order and my servant will be healed. 8 For I myself, a junior officer, give orders to my soldiers and I say to this one: ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to the other: ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant: ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”   

9 On hearing these words, Jesus was filled with admiration. He turned and said to the people with him, “I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such great faith.” 10 The people sent by the captain went back to his house; there they found that the servant was well.


First Reading:

1 First of all I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions and thanksgiving be made for everyone, 2 for rulers of states and all in authority, that we may enjoy a quiet and peaceful life in godliness and respect. 3 This is good and pleases God. 4 For he wants all to be saved and come to the knowledge of truth. 5 As there is one God, there is one mediator between God and humankind, Christ Jesus, himself human, 6 who gave his life for the redemption of all. This is the testimony, given in its proper time, 7 and of this, God has made me apostle and herald. I am not lying, I am telling the truth: He made me teacher of the nations regarding faith and truth.

8 I want the men in every place to lift pure hands in prayer to heaven without anger and dissension.


Responsorial Psalm:

Blessed be the Lord, for He has heard my prayers.

2 Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help, as I lift up my hands toward your innermost sanctuary.

7 The Lord is my strength, my shield, my heart was sure of him, I have been helped and my heart exults, with my song I give him thanks.

8 The Lord is the strength of his people, the saving refuge of his anointed.

9 Save your people, and bless your inheritance, be their shepherd and carry them forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer to Archbishop Teofilo Camomot

Mar y Cielo of Atty. Marcelo Bacalso

The Bronze Serpent