Daily Readings - May 31, 2014 - Saturday

Holy Gospel according to Saint Luke, Chapter 1, Verses 39 - 56
First Reading, Zephaniah 3: 14 - 18
Responsorial Psalm: Isaiah  12: 2 - 6
Feast of the Visitation of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary

Holy Gospel:

39 Mary then set out for a town in the Hills of Judah. 40 She entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leapt in her womb. Elizabeth was filled with holy spirit, and 42 giving a loud cry, said, “You are most blessed among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43 How is it that the mother of my Lord comes to me? 44 The moment your greeting sounded in my ears, the baby within me suddenly leapt for joy. 45 Blessed are you who be­lieved that the Lord’s word would come true!”

46 And Mary said:

“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
47 my spirit exults in God my savior!

48 He has looked upon his servant in her lowliness,
and people forever will call me blessed.

49 The Mighty One has done great things for me,
Holy is his Name!

50 From age to age his mercy extends
to those who live in his presence.

51 He has acted with power and done wonders,
and scattered the proud with their plans.

52 He has put down the mighty from their thrones
and lifted up those who are downtrodden.

53 He has filled the hungry with good things
but has sent the rich away empty.

54 He held out his hand to Israel, his servant,
for he remembered his mercy,

55 even as he promised our fathers,
Abraham and his descendants forever.”

56 Mary remained with Elizabeth about three months and then returned home.


First Reading:

14 Cry out with joy, O daughter of Zion; rejoice, O people of Israel! Sing joyfully with all your heart, daughter of Jerusalem!

15 Yahweh has lifted your sentence and has driven your enemies away. Yahweh, the King of Israel is with you; do not fear any misfortune.

16 On that day they will say to Jerusalem: Do not be afraid nor let your hands tremble, 17 for Yahweh your God is within you, Yahweh, saving warrior. He will jump for joy on seeing you, for he has revived his love. For you he will cry out with joy, as you do in the days of the Feast.

18 I will drive away the evil I warned you about, and you will no longer be shamed.


Responsorial Psalm: Among you is the Great and Holy One of Israel.

2 He is the God of my salvation;
in him I trust and am not afraid,
Yahweh is my strength: him I will praise,
the one who saved me.

3 You will draw water with joy
from the very fountain of salvation.

4 Then you will say: “Praise to the Lord,
break into songs of joy for him,
proclaim his marvellous deeds among the nations
and exalt his Name.

5 Sing to the Lord: wonders he has done
let these be known all over the earth.
6 Sing for joy, O people of Zion,
for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer to Archbishop Teofilo Camomot

Mar y Cielo of Atty. Marcelo Bacalso

The Queenship of Mary