Daily Readings - August 01, 2011

Saint Alphonsus Marie Liguori, Bishop and Doctor of the Church
First Reading: Numbers 11: 4-15
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 81:12-13, 14-15, 16-17
Gospel: Matthew 14:22-36


Holy Gospel:

22 Immediately Jesus obliged his disciples to get into the boat and go ahead of him to the other side, while he sent the crowd away.

23 And having sent the people away, he went up the moun­tain by himself to pray. At nightfall, he was there alone. 24 Meanwhile, the boat was very far from land, dangerously rocked by the waves for the wind was against it.

25 At daybreak, Jesus came to them walking on the lake. 26 When they saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, thinking that it was a ghost. And they cried out in fear. 27 But at once Jesus said to them, "Courage! Don’t be afraid. It’s me!" 28 Peter answered, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you walking on the water."

29 Jesus said to him, "Come." And Peter got out of the boat, walking on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But, in face of the strong wind, he was afraid and began to sink. So he cried out, "Lord, save me!" 31 Jesus immediately stret­ched out his hand and took hold of him, saying, "Man of little faith, why did you doubt?"

32 As they got into the boat, the wind drop­ped. 33 Then those in the boat bowed down be­­fore Jesus saying, "Truly, you are the Son of God!"

34 They came ashore at Gennesareth. 35 The local people recognized Jesus and spread the news throughout the region. So they brought all the sick to him, 36 begging him to let them touch just the fringe of his cloak. All who touched it became perfectly well.


First Reading:

4 Now the rabble that was among them had greedy desires and even the Israelites wept and said, "Who will give us meat to eat? 5 We remember the fish we ate without cost in Egypt, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions and garlic. 6 Now our appetite is gone; there’s nothing to look at, nothing but manna."

7 Now the manna was like coriander seed and had the appearance of bedellium. 8 The people went about gathering it up and then ground it between millstones or pounded it in a mortar. They boiled it in a pot and made cakes with it which tasted like cakes made with oil. As soon as dew fell at night in the camp, the manna came with it.

10 Moses heard the people crying, family by family at the entrance to their tent and Yahweh became very angry.
This displeased Moses. 11 Then Mo­ses said to Yahweh, "Why have you treated your servant so badly? Is it because you do not love me that you burdened me with this people? 12 Did I conceive all these people and did I give them birth? And now you want me to carry them in my bosom as a nurse carries an infant, to the land you promised on oath to their fathers? 13 Where would I get meat for all these people, when they cry to me saying: ‘Give us meat that we may eat?’ 14 I cannot, myself alone, carry all these people; the burden is too heavy for me. 15 Kill me rather than treat me like this, I beg of you, if you look kindly on me, and let me not see your anger."


Responsorial:

12 But my people did not listen;
Israel did not obey.

13 So I gave them over to their stubbornness
and they followed their own counsels.

14 If only my people would listen,
if only Israel would walk in my ways,

15 I would quickly subdue their adversaries
and turn my hand against their enemies.

16 Those who hate the Lord would cringe before him,
and their panic would last forever.

17 I would feed you with the finest wheat
and satisfy you with honey from the rock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer to Archbishop Teofilo Camomot

Mar y Cielo of Atty. Marcelo Bacalso

The Queenship of Mary