Daily Readings - August 23, 2011 - Tuesday

Saint Rose of Lima, Peru
First Reading: 1 Thessalonians 2:1-8
Responsorial Psalm: 139: 1-3, 4-6
Holy Gospel: Matthew 23: 23-26


Holy Gospel:


23 Woe to you, teachers of the Law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You do not for­get the mint, anise and cumin seeds when you pay the tenth of everything, but then you forget what is most fundamental in the Law: justice, mercy and faith. These you must practice, without neglecting the others. 24 Blind guides! You strain out a mosquito, but swallow a camel.

25 Woe to you, teachers of the Law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You fill the plate and the cup with theft and violence, and then pronounce a blessing over them. 26 Blind Pharisee! Purify the inside first, then the outside too will be purified.


First Reading:


1 You well know, brothers and sisters, that our visit to you was not in vain. We had been ill-treated and insulted in Philippi but, trusting in our God, we dared announce to you the message of God, and face fresh opposition. 3 Our warnings did not conceal any error or impure motive, nor did we deceive anyone. 4 But as God had entrusted his Gospel to us as to faithful ministers, we were anxious to please God who sees the heart, rather than human beings. 5 We never pleased you with flattery, as you know, nor did we try to earn money, as God knows. We did not try to make a name for ourselves among people, either with you or anybody else, although we were messengers of Christ and could have made our weight felt.

7 On the contrary, we were gentle with you, as a nursing mother who feeds and cuddles her baby. 8 And so great is our concern that we are ready to give you, as well as the Gospel, even our very lives, for you have become very dear to us.


Responsorial Psalm:

You have searched me and you know me Lord.

O Lord, you know me:
you have scrutinized me.

2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
beforehand you discern my thoughts.

3 You observe my activities and times of rest;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is formed in my mouth,
you know what it is all about, O Lord.

5 From front to back you hedge me round,
shielding me with your protecting hand.

6 Your knowledge leaves me astounded,
it is too high for me to reach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer to Archbishop Teofilo Camomot

Mar y Cielo of Atty. Marcelo Bacalso

The Queenship of Mary