Daily Readings - August 29, 2011 - Monday


Saint Sabina, Martyr
First Reading: 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 71:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 15, 17
Holy Gospel: Mark 6:17-29




Holy Gospel:


17 For this is what had happened. Herod had ordered John to be arrested and had him bound and put in prison because of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip. Herod had married her 18 and John had told him, “It is not right for you to live with your brother’s wife.” 19 So Herodias held a grudge against John and wanted to kill him, but she could not 20 because Herod respected John. He knew John to be an upright and holy man and kept him safe. And he liked listening to him, although he became very disturbed whenever he heard him.


21 Herodias had her chance on Herod’s birthday, when he gave a dinner for all the senior government officials, military chiefs and the leaders of Galilee. 22 On that occasion the daughter of Herodias came in and danced; and she delighted Herod and his guests. The king said to the girl, “Ask me for anything you want and I will give it to you.” 23 And he went so far as to say with many oaths, “I will give you anything you ask, even half my king¬dom.” 24 She went out to consult her mother, “What shall I ask for?” The mother replied, “The head of John the Baptist.” 25 The girl hurried to the king and made her request: “I want you to give me the head of John the Baptist, here and now, on a dish.” 


26 The king was very displeased, but he would not refuse in front of his guests because of his oaths. 27So he sent one of the bodyguards with orders to bring John’s head. He went and beheaded John in prison; 28 then he brought the head on a dish and gave it to the girl. And the girl gave it to her mother. 29 When John’s disciples heard of this, they came and took his body and buried it.




First Reading


13 Brothers and sisters, we want you not to be mistaken about those who are already asleep, lest you grieve as do those who have no hope. 14 We believe that Jesus died and rose; it will be the same for those who have died in Jesus. God will bring them together with Jesus and for his sake.


15 By the same word of the Lord we assert this: those of us who are to be alive at the Lord’s coming will not go ahead of those who are already asleep. 16 When the command by the archangel’s voice is given, the Lord himself will come down from heaven, while the divine trumpet call is sounding. Then those who have died in the Lord will rise first; 17 as for us who are still alive, we will be brought along with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the celestial world. And we will be with the Lord forever.


18 So, then comfort one another with these words.



Responsorial Psalm:


1 In you, O Lord, I seek refuge; let me not be disgraced.


2 In your justice help me and deliver me, turn your ear to me and save me! 


3 Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety, for you are my rock and my fortress.


4 Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of cruel and violent people.


5 For you, O Lord, have been my hope, my trust, O God, from my youth.


6 I have relied on you from birth: from my mother’s womb you brought me forth. My praise is of you continually.


15 My lips will proclaim your intervention and tell of your salvation all day, little though it is what I can understand.


17 You have taught me from my youth and until now I proclaim your marvels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer to Archbishop Teofilo Camomot

Mar y Cielo of Atty. Marcelo Bacalso

The Queenship of Mary