Daily Readings - February 16, 2012 - Thursday

First Reading: James 2: 1-9
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 34: 2-3, 4-5, 6-7
Holy Gospel: Mark 8: 27-33


Holy Gospel:

27 Jesus set out with his disciples for the villages around Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked them, “Who do people say I am?” 28 And they told him, “Some say you are John the Baptist; others say you are Elijah or one of the prophets.”

Then Jesus asked them, 29 “But you, who do you say I am?” Peter answered, “You are the Messiah.” 30 And he ordered them not to tell anyone about him.

31 Jesus then began to teach them that the Son of Man had to suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the Law. He would be killed and after three days rise again. 32 Jesus said all this quite openly, so that Peter took him aside and began to protest strongly. 33 But Jesus turning around, and looking at his disciples, rebuked Peter saying, “Get behind me Satan! You are thinking not as God does, but as people do.”


First Reading:

1 My brothers and sisters, if you truly believe in our glorified Lord, Jesus Christ, you will not discriminate between persons. 2 Suppose a person enters the synagogue where you are assembled, dressed magnificently and wearing a gold ring; at the same time, a poor person enters dressed in rags. 3 If you focus your attention on the well-dressed and say, “Come and sit in the best seat,” while to the poor one you say, “Stay standing or else sit down at my feet,” 4 have you not, in fact, made a distinction between the two? Have you not judged, using a double standard?

5 Listen, my beloved brothers and sisters, did God not choose the poor of this world to receive the riches of faith and to inherit the kingdom which he has promised to those who love him? 6 Yet you despise them! Is it not the rich who are against you and drag you to court? 7 Do they not insult the holy name of Christ by which you are called?

8 If you keep the Law of the Kingdom, according to Scripture: Love your neighbor as yourself, you do well; 9 but if you make distinctions between persons, you break the law and are condemned by the same law.


Responsorial Psalm:

2 I will bless the Lord all my days;
his praise will be ever on my lips.

3 My soul makes its boast in the Lord;
let the lowly hear and rejoice.

4 Oh, let us magnify the Lord,
together let us glorify his name!

5 I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
from all my fears he delivered me.

6 They who look to him are radiant with joy,
their faces never clouded with shame.

7 When the poor cry out, the Lord hears
and saves them from distress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer to Archbishop Teofilo Camomot

Mar y Cielo of Atty. Marcelo Bacalso

The Queenship of Mary